Sunday, February 22, 2009

Blessing Box


I found this unfinished box of course at a thrift store. I have been wanting to make some so I bought it for the pattern. I painted it black, added the "blessing" saying and sanded it. Now I just need to add some fillers.

Before


After

The little bench I have it on came from my parents. They had it sitting outside with a board on top and used it to set their coffee on while sitting on the glider. It is actually an old sewing machine stand. I dry brushed barn red on the board that I got my brother. The board was a piece that he had made from trees that my dad had planted when he was a teenager. They did a huge remodel of the old farmhouse and had trees off the farm rough sawn for the ceiling and kitchen cabinets. Pine on the ceiling and oak for the cabinets. Their kitchen and dining area walls were stripped down to the original log cabin (what a process) that my great-grandparents built. Well over a hundred years old. This project has been a very long one. My sister in law has a great deal of patience!! She waited a long time to have a real kitchen. Besides having six children growing up.

Don't forget to enter the giveaway.

4 comments:

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

That reminds me of a tool box I have. They are so handy and can be used for many things. I loe it!

Ann said...

Hey Kathy,
I already tried to post so if you get this a second time I apologize.
Love the Blessing box & how you distressed it! The story behind your table is wonderful! To think the table top if made from a tree on your families property. How neat is that? You know how I love to hear & TELL stories about items we inherit from our family. It keeps memories alive of the past! Hope to see how you decorate your new Blessings Box!
Blessings sent to you,
Ann :)

Sherri said...

I LOVE it! What a great makeover.

WoolenSails said...

Beautiful job on the makeover. I love looking for old boxes and items I can redo.

Debbie